VAT registration is required for any business that is into sales either by way of trading, manufacturing, whether individuals, partnerships, Companies, or other forms of businesses. This is to be applied with the local Sales Tax Department in the prescribed forms along with specified fees and necessary documents. On completion of the formalities, a Tax Identification Number (TIN) is granted. VAT registration is essential depending on your sales turn over and other business parameters.
Most of the states have introduced online registration process but in some states manual filling of documents in the prescribed form is done and the form with the supporting documents is to be submitted at the commercial office of the state. But whether the registration is done through manual or online means, basic documents that are required for availing a successful registration are mentioned below:
- ID and address proof of the proprietor / partner / director
- Photograph of proprietor / partner / director
- Rent / lease / sale deed agreement of the business premises
- Partnership deed in case of firm / LLP
- MOA / AOA in case of a company
- Trust deed in case of a society
- Copy of Income Tax Assessment Order with PAN or copy of PAN card
- Electricity / gas / water bill of the business premises and
- Registration fees
The above mentioned documents include other requirements that are state specific and vary according to the rules and laws of the particular state.