In his fifth and final address in the current tenure, Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighted the achievements of the NDA government in the last four years – Swachch Bharat, PMFBY, Mudra loans, GST.
During the address, he also announced his flagship health policy –Aayuhmaan Bharat from the Red Fort. The ambitious Ayushman Bharat or National Health Protection Scheme aims to cover over 10 crore vulnerable families (approximately 50 crore beneficiaries) and provide health cover up to Rs 5 lakh per family per year. The scheme will be rolled out on September 25, on the occasion of Deen Dayal Upadhyay’s anniversary. Referring to the torrential rainfall in Kerala, PM Modi said, “My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives due to floods in various parts of India.”
Here’s all you need to know about PM Modi’s speech in 10 points:
1.PM Modi mentioned the achievements of Indian women. Praising the recent achievements of the all-women crew of INS Tarini, Modi said, “We are proudly celebrating Independence Day today as six women officers of the Indian Navy, circumnavigated the globe recently.” He also said from Parliament to sports, Indian women have made India proud in every sector.
2. He mentioned the importance of social justice for all. Modi said, “The Constitution of India, given to us by Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar has spoken about justice for all. We have to ensure social justice for all and create an India that is progressing rapidly.”
3. Talking about taxpayers, he said that today India is celebrating honesty and tax compliance. Modi said he can assure taxpayers that their money is being used for good. He said, “The tax given by one person is being used to feed three poor families in India. What can be more relieving than this?”
4. Talking about the eradication of black money, Modi said that his government has saved Rs 90,000 crore of welfare funds. “I have weeded out 6 crore dubious beneficiaries of government schemes.” Saying that “Middlemen always loot the poor, Modi added that his government is trying to fix the system which exploits poor.
5. Modi also claimed that in the last two years, 5 crore Indians were pulled out of poverty. He said that his government has worked hard in the past 4 years to pull poverty out of India.
6. Talking about the MUDRA Yojna, Modi said that more than 13 crore people were given loans under the Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojna. Of the 13 crore, 4 crore people borrowed loans for the first time.
7. Modi also focused on extremism. Talking about Kashmir, Modi said, “We don’t believe in “goli and gali” for Kashmir.” Quoting Atal Bihari Vajpayee on Kashmir PM Modi said he believes that Kashmir’s troubles could only be solved by a “hug”. “Tripura, Meghalaya and many parts of Arunachal Pradesh are seeing historic peace. From 126, Left Wing Extremism is restricted to 90 districts. We are working to ensure peace across the nation.” said Modi.
8. He raised the issue of rapes in India. PM Modi said that we Indians must cry when women are wronged by a demonic mindset. Talking about law and order, he said, “Rapists of minors are getting capital punishments now. We should shape young minds to honour women. Families need to teach how to respect women.” Modi also talked about triple talaq and said that it has ruined the lives of Muslim women in India. “We are trying to end this practice but there are some people who are not wanting it to end. I ensure the Muslim women that I will work to ensure justice is done to them.” said PM Modi.
9. Modi said that his government is working hard in bringing exceptional reforms in the agriculture sector. He said farmer incomes will be doubled by 2022.
10. Talking about the Swachh Bharat mission, Modi said that lakhs of children are leading healthier lives now. He also talked about Modi government’s initiatives such as Ujjwala and Saubhagya Yojana and they are enhancing the dignity of fellow Indians. He announced that Jan Arogya Abhiyan will provide health assurance worth Rs 5 lakh to poor families. The Abhiyan will benefit at least 10 crore poor families in the country and will be launched on September 25 this year.